What is Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5?
Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 is a synthetic peptide that is formed by linking the amino acids Lysine-Valine-Lysine together. Peptides are chains of amino acids linked together, and amino acids are building blocks of protein. This synthetic peptide has the ability to penetrate deep into the dermis layer (inner layers) of the skin to increase skin firmness through stimulation of collagen synthesis.
What can Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 do for your skin?
Although a fairly new discovery, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 is used in cosmetic formulations that aim to provide anti-aging benefits such as reducing fine line and achieving smooth skin, especially those with sensitive skin.
In-vitro studies have also shown that Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 can prevent collagen breakdown by preventing the degradation pathway of Type 1 and Type 3 collagen in the skin. The studies also indicate that this synthetic peptide has the ability to boost collagen synthesis.
New products are also being developed using Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 along with other raw ingredients to help reduce redness in Type 1 rosacea. The active complex is said to be able to inhibit the stimulation of inflammatory proteins known as cytokines in the human body.
How does Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 work?
As we age, our collagen production naturally slows down, leading to formation of fine lines and wrinkles that start from the dermis layer of our skin. Recent studies have shown that this synthetic peptide has the ability to communicate with skin cells to increase collagen production and supporting cell function.
Additionally, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 is thought to interact with Hyaluronic Acid and elastin production within our bodies. The effects of combining peptide with these two components is an increase in moisture and water retention within the skin layer, resulting in reduced appearance of wrinkles.
Is Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 safe to use?
As determined by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel and EWG, Palmitoyl Oligopeptides are safe to be used on the skin without any detrimental effects of hormone disruption, toxicity and sensitivity. However, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5 is still a relatively new ingredient that requires further research to determine its true efficacy in sensitive skin care.
This pure Vitamin C 10% ampoule is rich with nature-derived Vitamin that is extracted from Vitamin Tree and Namhae Citron at low-temperature vacuum method. Each bottle contains two parts: one part Vitamin C powder and another part liquid that is filled with patented Peptide, Vitamin E and Citron Extract formulation. There is a light citrus fragrance upon opening the ampoule.
The best part about this product is that you get to mix your ampoule when you need it. Each bottle can be stored for up to 2 months in the fridge after opening. This means less wastage from oxidation when you use your Vitamin C!
- Resende, DI, Ferreira, MS., Sousa-Lobo, JM., Sousa, E., Almeida, IF. Usage of Synthetic Peptides in Cosmetics for Sensitive Skin. Pharmaceuticals (Basel). 2021 Aug; 14(8): 702.; http://doi.org/10.3390/ph14080702
- Schagen, SK. Topical Peptide Treatments with Effective Anti-Aging Results. Cosmetics 2017, 4(2), 16; https://doi.org/10.3390/cosmetics4020016
- DSM Launches Regu-Cea. [(accessed on Jan 11, 2022)]; Available online: https://www.happi.com/contents/view_breaking-news/2009-04-22/dsm-launches-regu-cea/
- Macleman, E. The Derm Review: Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5: What can it do for your skin?
- Cosmetic Ingredient Review: Safety Assessment of Palmitoyl Oligopeptides as Used in Cosmetics [(accessed on Jan 11, 2022)]; Available online: https://www.cir-safety.org/sites/default/files/palmit072012slr.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1JJD0BYfHqgME83LnJ-H4CDpmC9PooeQC3C7PXjjpSe0VpBlebd8vtEl4